Learn how to pass on more of your wealth to your heirs and pay less to the government before it's too late! Click here...

Address & Map

(602) 264 - 9331


Address & Map

(602) 264-9331

Fear of Filing Tax Returns and Unclaimed Tax Refunds

by | 52 tax Tips and Weekly Financial Blog for 2023



Organizing documents, keeping them in order, backtracking on your investments and expenses and all the paperwork involved might sound overwhelming to some. So, they try to escape the whole process of filing tax returns, by simply ignoring the preparation or submission. It’s been a month since the filing deadline and most people have already received their tax refunds, while others on extension have yet to file their returns for last year.

Believe it or not there are still some people that have not filed for past years and don’t plan on filing their tax returns merely because they are afraid of filing their tax returns. Many taxpayers do not know if they are due refunds or owe taxes, or they believe they owe taxes and therefore decide not to file or do anything about filing.

There are ways to conquer this fear of filing and reduce or abate penalties that may be charged against you. You must remember that the statute of limitations (the time the IRS can chase after you) is 3 years, but only IF you file a return. The statute does not START, until you file your tax returns.

The IRS now also gives you an opportunity to pay your taxes over time or even receive interest if a refund is due for you. But if you do not file a tax return within 3 years of when it’s due, and you are entitled to a refund, the IRS will just keep it! This is just another reason to file your returns.

So, let’s look at some points to remember:

  • Collect all expense and tax information, schedule an appointment with azmoneyguy or your tax professional and ASK THE PROFESSIONAL to help you sort through your information and prepare the returns.


  • Filing a tax return that’s due a refund, protects the refund to you (you must file within 3 years of due date), even if the IRS takes a long time to refund you. Plus, the IRS pays you interest on refunds due.


  • Filing sooner reduces penalties (penalties for failure to file on time can be as high as 25% of the tax owed). PLUS, INTEREST!


  • You can file a tax return even if you don’t have all the facts (you can always go back and amend the tax return for up to 3 years after the original filing, once you get all the relevant information).


  • You can pay your taxes over time with the IRS if what you owe them is less than $50,000, using form 9465, Tax Installment Payment Agreement.


Here are the facts you need to know about unclaimed refunds:


  • The unclaimed refunds apply to people who did not file a federal income tax return. The IRS estimates that half the potential refunds are more than $1595 per return.


  • Some people, such as students and part-time workers, may not have filed because they had too little income to require filing a tax return. They may have a refund waiting if they had taxes withheld from their wages or made quarterly estimated payments. A refund could also apply if they qualify for certain tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit.


  • If you didn’t file a return, the law generally provides a three-year window of the original due date to claim a refund from that year. For 2019 returns, the window closes on April 15, 2023.


  • The law requires that you properly address, mail and postmark your tax return by that date to claim your refund. We always suggest when mailing returns, do so, certified mail, return receipt requested. Also remember you can e-file your past returns from 2012 tax years forward. AND be sure to use the correct address to send returns in, which is different from the address you send payments in. Your tax professional can help with the correct address or you can go to www.irs.gov and find the correct address to mail in returns or payments, based upon where you live.


  • If you don’t file a claim for a refund within three years, the money becomes property of the U.S. Treasury. There is no penalty for filing a late return if you are due a refund.


  • The IRS may delay your 2019 refund if you have not filed tax returns for 2017 and 2018. The U.S. Treasury will apply the refund to any federal or state tax owed. It also may use your refund to offset unpaid child support or past due federal debts such as delinquent student loans.


  • If you’re missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1095, 1099 or 5498 for prior years, you should ask for copies from your employer, bank or other payer. If you can’t get copies, get a free transcript showing that information by going to IRS.gov. You can also file Form 4506-T to get a transcript.


  • The three-year window also usually applies to a refund from an amended return. In general, you must file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, within three years from the date you filed your original tax return. You can also file it within two years from the date you paid the tax, if that date is later than the three- year rule. This would mean the deadline for most people to amend their 2018 tax return and claim a refund will expire on April 15, 2022.


Call today, don’t delay! See how this affects you. We can be reached at 602-264-9331 and on all social media under azmoneyguy.

Related Blog Posts

Weddings, Marriage and Taxes

Weddings, Marriage and Taxes

Learn how to pass on more of your wealth to your heirs and pay less to the government before it's too late! Click here...Address & Map(602) 264 - 9331CLIENT PORTALAddress & Map(602) 264-9331[DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS] It’s that time of the year when many...

read more

Do You Owe The IRS?

Learn 5 Secrets The IRS Doesn’t Want You To Know.

Click on the button below to get FREE access to this exclusive content.  

Get Expert Tax Advice from an expert

Mr. Hockensmith has been a guest newscaster for national and local TV stations in Phoenix since 1995, broadcasting financial and tax topics to the general pubic. He has written tax and accounting articles for both national and local newspapers and professional journals. He has been a public speaker nationally and locally on tax, accounting, financial planning and economics since 1992. He was a Disaster Reservist at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, for many years after his military service. He served as a Colonel with the US Army, retiring from military service after 36 years in 2008. Early in his accounting career, he was a Accountant and Consultant with Arthur Andersen CPA’s and Ernst & Young CPA’s.

Build strategies, build confidence, build your business.

We are ready to do business with you


Tel: (602) 264-9331 (24x7)



3404 West Cheryl Drive
Suite A-170
Phoenix, AZ, 85051


Follow Us...



Leave a Review...



Follow Us...



Leave a Review...


Get in touch with us

6 + 10 =

Clients Don’t Buy Hours, We Don’t Sell Time.

Clients Buy Knowledge, Clients Pay For Value.

-Robert Hockensmith CPA, EA

Tax Tips and Financial Blog

Tax Return Corrections and Tips for next Tax Year

www.AZMONEYGUY.com(602) 264-9331 Call 24x7Blog [DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS] While the freshness of the New Year can still be felt in the air, let’s start talking about preparing for the upcoming tax season. Dave and Julia know that preparedness always helps them in...

read more

Paying Income Taxes and Estimated Taxes

www.AZMONEYGUY.com(602) 264-9331 Call 24x7Blog Paying Income Taxes andEstimated Taxes[DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS]   Paying Income Taxes and Estimated Taxes The tax season is almost ending, and like any other law-abiding, taxpaying citizen of the country, Chris...

read more