Learn how to pass on more of your wealth to your heirs and pay less to the government before it's too late! Click here...

Address & Map

(602) 264 - 9331


Address & Map

(602) 264-9331



Here we are at the April tax deadline. But if you have started preparing early like Dave and Julia,
then you have enough time left to cross check what you did. This will ensure the reduction or
elimination of any mistakes in the process. People often make the same mistakes every year, so
here are a few last-minute tips to remember:

1. Miscalculating the basis of investments
Using the wrong basis can cause more taxes to be paid than should be. (Basis is what you
paid for assets or investments, plus any dividends or capital gains that have been reinvested.)

2. Failing to deduct health insurance (includes Medicare)
Business owners, partners and shareholders in S-Corporations can deduct health insurance or
Medicare premiums without itemizing deductions. So, if you take the Standard deduction,
you can still deduct health insurance on your tax return.

3. Overlooking dependency tax deduction or credit breaks
Often, taxpayers don’t realize that taking care of a relative may offer a tax deduction. (More
than 50% of care and support for family member or individual who lives with you, goes to
college or lives in a nursing home.)

4. Failing to apply carryover items from previous years.
Losses not able to be used in one year can be carried over for many years. (Capital losses, net
operating losses, and charitable contributions are some examples.)

5. File an amended return when you realize you made a mistake.
If you do not file amended returns, you could lose tax benefits and/or possible refunds. (Will
not invite an audit and you have three (3) years from the date you filed the original returns to
file an amended return.)

6. Choosing the wrong filing status
Married, Single, or Head of Household status on December 31st is correct status to claim. No
matter what your filing status is during the year or part of the year, whatever your status is as
of DECEMBER 31, each year IS the filing status for the entire year. There are some
exceptions to this, so be sure to ask your tax professional.

7. Claiming ineligible dependents
Cannot claim dependent if already claimed on another person’s return.

8. Failing to file a tax return when a refund is due.
Some people think they can delay filing tax returns because they believe they are entitled to a
refund. Refunds are lost three years after the original due date of a tax return.

9. Correctly add your taxes owed.
A computer will guarantee this, but if doing your taxes by hand, mistakes can be and are
often made.

10. Sign and date the tax returns
If you don’t sign and date your returns and send them in, you can be fined or penalized for a
frivolous tax return penalty.

11. Send your return to the right address.
If you have a refund, your return goes to a different address than if you owe taxes. Don’t
confuse the address to where you send your returns, or it could delay your refund or the filing
of your tax returns.

12. Be sure the social security numbers and names agree.
Be sure to write your Social Security Number (SSN) on the returns. Often taxpayers leave
out a number or use a wrong SSN, and sometimes mis-spell names on tax returns. This year
you may find that tax deductions have been disallowed if the social security numbers and
names do not agree. If you have been married or divorced, be sure that your name has been
changed with the Social Security Administration to ensure correct tax return filing.

13. Wrong bank account numbers
You should choose to get your refund by direct deposit. The fastest and safest way to get a
tax refund is to combine an e-file with a direct deposit. But it’s important that you use the
right bank and account numbers on your return. Always be sure to check before you send in
the returns for accuracy.

14. Electronic filing PIN errors
When you e-file, you sign your return electronically with a Personal Identification Number.
If you know last year’s e-file PIN, you can use that. If not, you’ll need to request your prior
year’s PIN from the IRS. Do this on www.IRS.gov and be sure to enter your Adjusted Gross
Income (AGI) from your prior year’s return, to have the IRS give you last year’s PIN.

15. Consider filing an extension of time to file your tax return, with a Form 4868
Filing an extension can make a significant difference if you owe taxes. If you do not owe
taxes, then an extension is not necessary. But if you do owe taxes, and you don’t file an
extension, the taxes owed could have a five percent (5%) penalty added onto the tax return.
Taxes owed with an extension only have a one-half of one percent (1/2 of 1%) penalty
attached to the taxes. That’s only 10% of the usual penalty, just by filing an extension!

Call today, don’t delay! See how this affects you. We can be reached at 602-264-9331 and on all social media under azmoneyguy.

Related Blog Posts

Weddings, Marriage and Taxes

Weddings, Marriage and Taxes

Learn how to pass on more of your wealth to your heirs and pay less to the government before it's too late! Click here...Address & Map(602) 264 - 9331CLIENT PORTALAddress & Map(602) 264-9331[DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS] It’s that time of the year when many...

read more

Do You Owe The IRS?

Learn 5 Secrets The IRS Doesn’t Want You To Know.

Click on the button below to get FREE access to this exclusive content.  

Get Expert Tax Advice from an expert

Mr. Hockensmith has been a guest newscaster for national and local TV stations in Phoenix since 1995, broadcasting financial and tax topics to the general pubic. He has written tax and accounting articles for both national and local newspapers and professional journals. He has been a public speaker nationally and locally on tax, accounting, financial planning and economics since 1992. He was a Disaster Reservist at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, for many years after his military service. He served as a Colonel with the US Army, retiring from military service after 36 years in 2008. Early in his accounting career, he was a Accountant and Consultant with Arthur Andersen CPA’s and Ernst & Young CPA’s.

Build strategies, build confidence, build your business.

We are ready to do business with you


Tel: (602) 264-9331 (24x7)



3404 West Cheryl Drive
Suite A-170
Phoenix, AZ, 85051


Follow Us...



Leave a Review...



Follow Us...



Leave a Review...


Get in touch with us

11 + 5 =

Clients Don’t Buy Hours, We Don’t Sell Time.

Clients Buy Knowledge, Clients Pay For Value.

-Robert Hockensmith CPA, EA

Tax Tips and Financial Blog

Tax Return Corrections and Tips for next Tax Year

www.AZMONEYGUY.com(602) 264-9331 Call 24x7Blog [DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS] While the freshness of the New Year can still be felt in the air, let’s start talking about preparing for the upcoming tax season. Dave and Julia know that preparedness always helps them in...

read more

Paying Income Taxes and Estimated Taxes

www.AZMONEYGUY.com(602) 264-9331 Call 24x7Blog Paying Income Taxes andEstimated Taxes[DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS]   Paying Income Taxes and Estimated Taxes The tax season is almost ending, and like any other law-abiding, taxpaying citizen of the country, Chris...

read more