There are now a few new weapons to help you battle identity theft. A federal law gives consumers the right to receive a copy of your credit report once every 12 months free of charge, or if you are refused credit on an application. This law was designed to encourage Americans to keep a closer watch on their credit report and cut back on identity theft.
The law dictates that the three nationwide consumer credit reporting bureaus Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian, each are required to provide you with an annual credit file disclosure upon request (therefore you must request it). You must still pay though, to get a credit score; it is not part of the free provision.
Further, if you are a victim of identity theft, you must paper file your tax return. You cannot e-file!! Be sure to attach a completed and signed IRS Form 14039, along with a copy of your current driver’s license or passport, to be submitted with your original tax return. This will ensure your refund is sent to you and your tax records are correctly placed in your name. This is also important to make sure your Social Security records reflect correct information towards your benefits later in life.
Here are some points to remember:
* All three credit reporting bureaus are required to give an annual credit report (if requested). But you must still pay to acquire a credit score from the credit reporting companies
* Ways to get credit reports are as follows:
– Visit the website at www.annualcreditreport.com
– Write to: Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. BOX 105283
Atlanta, GA 30348
– Or Call: Toll Free at (877) 322-8228
* Use IRS form 14039 along with a copy of your driver’s license or passport to file with your original tax return, if you are a victim of identity theft, to ensure your refund is sent to you. And to be sure your income records are correct with the Social Security Administration.
Don’t delay! Schedule an appointment with our office today to find out how to maximize tax saving opportunities. We can be reached at (602) 264-9331.