Child and Dependent Care Tax Credits This Summer

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credits This Summer

by | 52 Tax Tips and Weekly Financial Blog




Holding those little ones in your arms and slowly guiding them through the path of life, is surely one of the most joyous and fulfilling experience of a lifetime. But there is no denying that it can be hard on your pocketbook. Catherine, a mother of two children aged 7 and 10, experiences this dichotomy between pleasure of child rearing and its pinching effect on the pocketbook. So, to alleviate the effect, you must utilize the option of child and dependent care tax credits to the best of your abilities.

This week we will discuss about child and dependent care tax credits and filing Form 2441. If you have a child under the age of 13, or an incapacitated spouse or parent, you may be able to take a dependent care credit on your individual tax return

The amount of the credit can be as low as 20 percent (%) of the maximum allowed amount, or as high as 35 percent (%). For 2019 the minimum allowed credit with one child was $600, and the maximum allowed was $1050. With multiple dependents, the minimum allowed credit was $1,200 and the maximum allowed was $2,100. Each year the amount of the credit may change. Your tax professional will know that limit.

To claim this credit, you will need the name, address, and taxpayer identification number of the dependent care provider. The money paid to the provider is income to them that must be reported. You will also need receipts for the payments made to the dependent care provider, to give to your tax preparer. There are certain rules that must be considered to find out if your income level is too high to take this credit, and your tax preparer will be able to help you figure this out.

Some employers offer pre-tax dependent care benefits. If you have dependents that fall into these categories, usually it will be advantageous to use your employer’s pre-tax dependent care plan. It will save you taxes to use an employer’s plan, but it will also limit the dependent care credit you are eligible for. Your accountant can help with this decision.

Here are 10 facts from the IRS about this important tax credit:

  1. You may qualify for the credit if you paid someone to care for your child, dependent or spouse last year.
  1. The care you paid for must have been necessary, so you could work or look for work, or attend school. This also applies to your spouse if you are married and filing jointly.
  1. The care must have been for ‘qualifying persons.’ A qualifying person can be your child under age 13. They may also be a spouse or dependent who is physically or mentally incapable of self- care. They must also have lived with you for more than half the year.
  1. You, and your spouse if you file jointly, must have earned income, such as wages from a job. Special rules apply to a spouse who is a student or disabled. You can also get a Dependent Care credit up to $500 for each child age 17 and older or a non-child dependent, such as a parent, sibling, aunt, uncle or other extended family member.
  1. The payments for care can’t go to your spouse, the parent of your qualifying person or to someone you can claim as a dependent on your return. Care payments also can’t go to your child under the age of 19, even if the child isn’t your dependent.
  1. The credit is worth up to 35 percent (%) of the qualifying costs for care, depending on your income. That credit is limited, based on the number of dependents, your childcare expenses and your taxable income.
  1. Overnight camp or summer school tutoring costs do not qualify. You can’t include the cost of care provided by your spouse or your child who is under age 19 at the end of the year. You also cannot count the cost of care given by a person you can claim as your dependent. Special rules apply if you get dependent care benefits from your employer. For more see Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
  1. You must include the Social Security number of each qualifying person to claim the credit. You must report this information when you claim the credit on your tax return.
  1. You must include the name, address and identifying number of your care provider to claim the credit. This is usually the Social Security number of an individual or the Employer Identification Number of a business.
  1. Remember that this credit is not just a summer tax benefit. You may be able to claim it for care you pay for throughout the year. To claim the credit, attach Form 2441 to your tax return.

Be sure to consider the following, when preparing the Form 2441 for Dependent Care Tax Credits. Here are some points to remember:

  • The maximum amount of expenses allowed for one dependent and multiple dependents is limited each year. Ask Azmoneyguy or your tax professional for the amounts.
  • You need the name, address, and taxpayer identification number of the dependent care provider to complete the Form 2441.
  • If your employer offers dependent care reimbursement, that will reduce the amount that is available to you, dollar-for-dollar.
  • This credit helps reduce regular income tax but may not reduce alternative minimum tax (be sure to see Azmoneyguy or your tax professional for specifics).


Related Blog Posts

Do You Owe The IRS?

Learn 5 Secrets The IRS Doesn't Want You To Know.

Click on the button below to get FREE access to this exclusive content.

Get Expert Tax Advice from an expert

Mr. Hockensmith has been a guest newscaster for national and local TV stations in Phoenix since 1995, broadcasting financial and tax topics to the general pubic. He has written tax and accounting articles for both national and local newspapers and professional journals. He has been a public speaker nationally and locally on tax, accounting, financial planning and economics since 1992. He was a Disaster Reservist at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, for many years after his military service. He served as a Colonel with the US Army, retiring from military service after 36 years in 2008. Early in his accounting career, he was a Accountant and Consultant with Arthur Andersen CPA’s and Ernst & Young CPA’s.

Build strategies, build confidence, build your business.

We are ready to do business with you




Tel: (602) 264-9331 (24x7)



3404 West Cheryl Drive
Suite A-170
Phoenix, AZ, 85051


Follow Us...



Follow Us...


Get in touch with us

7 + 7 =

Tax Tips and Financial Blog

Children Employed by Parents who own a business 264-9331 Call 24x7Blog Children Employed by Parents who own a business     While rolling out a roadmap for their future professional growth, employing children in your own business also works to your...

read more